What is Theraplay?
Theraplay is an evidence-based therapy that improves a child’s wellbeing through developing the relationship between the child and the parent or caregiver. A strong attachment between a child and the important adults in their life has long been believed to be the foundation for lifelong good mental health as well as the mainstay of resilience in the face of adversity. Modern neuroscience research has shown that attachment is the way in which children come to understand, trust, and thrive in their world.
What to expect:
With the support of a Theraplay practitioner, parents/caregivers learn to play with their child in a way that establishes felt safety, increases social engagement, expands arousal regulation, and supports the development of positive self-esteem for both the child and the parent. The interactions are personal, physical, and fun – a natural way for everyone to experience the healing power of being together.
Theraplay has been implemented successfully to support:
- Children who have been impacted by domestic & family violence
- Children with developmental trauma
- Shy, withdrawn children
- Overactive, controlling, or aggressive children
- Foster/adoptive children with attachment challenges
- Children with Autism Spectrum Disorder & Pervasive Development Disorder
- Children with physical disabilities, developmental delays or who are non-verbal
- Children who live in group settings
- Early childhood students and others who receive services in group settings.
How to access Theraplay services:
Nexus Primary Health has a highly qualified team of practitioners who offer Theraplay-informed practice and can help support you. Please contact our friendly Theraplay Team on 1300 77 33 52 to:
- Refer yourself or a family member
- Have a family member refer you
Theraplay services can be purchased by schools, government departments, support agencies, and through packages such as Targeted Care Packages. Speak to our team to see how this might apply to you.
In order to bring this method to you, Nexus Primary Health has partnered with The Theraplay Institute, a not-for-profit organisation based in Chicago, USA. Theraplay is being used in over 36 countries and translates easily into other cultures with only very minor adaptations.
Here is a link to training opportunities for professionals: https://bit.ly/theraplayprofessionaltraining.